Sunday, January 1, 2012

Obama Signed NDAA, Ron Paul Now Only Real Chance To Get Back Civil Liberties

I admit that I voted for Ron Paul many years ago when we were both Libertarians.  I didn't think I would ever seriously consider voting for him again.  I have to admit that some of the stuff Ron Paul says and believes is a bit hard to imagine in practicality. Then yesterday:

Huffington Post, 12-31-11
WASHINGTON -- Indefinite military detention of Americans became the law of the land Saturday, as President Barack Obama signed a defense bill that codified that authority, even as he said he would not use it.

I am again seriously considering a vote for Ron Paul.  Not because I think that he would be the best person to govern this country, not because he would strengthen the social safety net and not because he is saying things that make me warm and fuzzy.  Simply because he is about the only person that could be president next year that would do their best to roll back the destruction of our constitution.  Bush really gave this anti constitution movement the biggest push with his illegal war and the Patriot Act.  Obama has codified or put his seal of approval on it. 

I am getting tired of hearing that we are losing our civil rights to protest, to sleep, to vote, to privacy, to drive without checkpoints, to know our accusers, to a trial by a jury of our peers, to know what the government does around the world in our name, to grow and use medical marijuana, and the list goes on. How are we to be a free country and the greatest country on the planet if we have no real rights?


I am not a Republican so I won't be voting for Ron Paul in the primary but if he wins the primary, he may get my vote in the next general election. I fear some of what he says he would do, but at least he doesn't want the power to detain me with no charges, lawyer, trial or outside contact for an indefinite amount of time. He doesn't want to send our kids to a Wall St. or oil driven war. With Ron Paul you know what you get. With the rest, you don't even know how long there will still be elections in this country. Shame on us for letting it get to this.


To all of my progressive and liberal friends, look around you at the police state that is going on now. The other republicans will only make things worse. We don't currently have a good independent alternative except for possibly Gary Johnson. Johnson has some of his own problems like privatizing half of the prisons while Gov. of New Mexico. He is a libertarian but was a republican. Paul was a Libertarian and is now a republican. I would like to vote for an anti war,  pro worker, pro civil rights , anti drug war progressive.  None are running.

 Obama has pretty much gone along with the rest of these anti middle class and poor people hating republicans. He has backed down to them every single time. He seems to have no backbone. Maybe he would appoint a decent Supreme Court Justice and maybe he would not. One can't tell by his track record.

 Obama was the Wall St. darling taking more money from them than anyone else in the last presidential election. Wall St. liked him for  reasons that most of us didn't know at the time.
Since Obama has been president the stock market is back, big businesses have seen the highest quarterly profits in world history. More illegal aliens have been deported. More terrorist enemies of the US have been hunted down and "taken out" in the name of our safety.  The rich are richer than they have ever been. Sure he saved some jobs when he saved the US auto industry but that also helped big business. Other than ending DADT in the military and a weak health care bill, he has done little for the 99 %.  Most of us are worse off and now we can't even set things right in the court system in front of our peers. I know some of you are going to say, but Tom, the courts are full and we still have Habeas Corpus and such going on right now down at the court house. Sure, it goes on for now. It doesn't have to though. It has just been given a way out with Obama's signature on the National Defense Authorization Act.

I don't like several things about Ron Paul like his racist and homophobic news letters decades ago and the privatization of just about everything but if not Ron Paul, then who?  Gary Johnson? Remember that republicans were the ones that had the votes to pass the NDAA and send it to Obama.  I have a hard time supporting any of them.  Paul was one republican that didn't vote for it though. I don't know if I would rather see Paul as president or support the idea that at least during the debates with Obama we can all discuss more than abortion, gays, guns and god. The country might learn something.  Obama might learn something. 


 For me, the signing of the NDAA is about the last straw.

8 comments:

  1. Reason enough why we can't vote for Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that tid bit Anonymous. I guess Ron Paul is a supporter of organized religion at our court houses, specifically Judaism.

    He says at the link that the 10 commandments should be allowed at our court houses but the 1st commandment is clearly to the Jews.
    “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.

    Did the rest of us come out of Egypt in bondage? This is just another reason not to vote for Ron Paul. Should we keep Saturdays holy? That's what the 4th commandment says.

    Is there anyone running that believes in the separation of church and state and the bill of rights? If we don't allow for the separation of church and state we stand to have pockets of Islamic law in this country. Islamic law goes against the US Constitution but as one can see, even staunch supporters of the constitution want to violate it to allow for their particular religious beliefs. That would allow a majority to impose their religious beliefs on the rest of us even if that majority was Islamic. I know I'm starting to sound like I'm going in circles but that is where these arguments take us. If we pick and choose which parts of the constitution and bill of rights we want and ignore others, we end up with something other than the United States of America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With that said, who can one vote for that will support both the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, Thanks so much for your thoughtful analysis. I enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am constantly amazed when people say, "I have never voted for a ______ in my life." Telling us that they vote in party lock-step. Why?

    One should ALWAYS vote for the best person, regardless of party. You don't leave your thinking cap at the precinct door, and registering as a D or an R does not mean you have to vote that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or an L, I or a G for that mattter. Rose, who do you like that is running and why that person?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well written, Tom. Although, I don't think I can vote for Paul. But the NDAA may have been the straw that will push me towards Green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I voted Green last time. I was hoping I was wrong about Obama but I guess I was spot on.

    ReplyDelete

Ignorance Is Strength

Wall St. Gets $16 Trillion We Get Nothing

What In The World Are They Spraying?

Some things don't add up

US Senator Joe Liberman, WTC 7 Did Not Occur

Architects and engineer’s upcoming documentary

Dr. Steven Jones part 2 of 2 on why steel buildings melt or the basics of Thermite