Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Betty T. Yee Announces Emergency Relief Available for Taxpayers in Humboldt County Due to Earthquake

January 13, 2010.

Betty T. Yee Announces Emergency Relief Available for Taxpayers in Humboldt County Due to Earthquake

Betty T. Yee, Chairwoman of the Board of Equalization (BOE), today announced that extensions for filing, audits, billing notices, assessments and relief from subsequent penalties are available for those individuals and/or businesses impacted by the earthquake in Humboldt County.

The Governor declared a state of emergency in Humboldt County due to a 6.5-magnitude earthquake that occurred on January 9, 2010.

“Natural disasters often cause sudden disruption for businesses without notice,” said Chairwoman Yee. “We offer assistance to businesses to help alleviate some of the stress, especially in these trying times.”

Emergency relief for taxpayers and fee payers may include extensions for filing returns or to make payments, relief of interest and penalties, and copies of BOE tax records will be made available on an expedited basis. Any taxpayer or fee payer who, as a result of the earthquake, cannot meet tax filing and payment deadlines may apply. The BOE may also extend these relief provisions to include delays caused by disruption of the normal activities of the U.S. Postal Service or other private mail and freight companies.

Extension for Filing Returns or Payments: Special relief in the form of a one-month extension of time to file or pay taxes or fees is available for the following tax and fee programs:

Sales and Use Taxes
Oil Spill Prevention Fee and Oil Spill Response Fee
Alcoholic Beverage Tax
Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Fee
Cigarettes and Tobacco Products Excise Taxes
Integrated Waste Management Fee
Energy Resources Surcharge
Occupational Lead Poisoning Prevention Fee 
Emergency Telephone Users Surcharge
Electronic Waste Recycling (eWaste) Fee (Covered Electronic Devices or CEDs)
Natural Gas Surcharge
Marine Invasive Species Fee (Ballast Water Management Fee)
Timber Yield Tax
California Tire Fee (Tire recycling fee)
Fuel Taxes (Diesel Fuel Tax, Interstate User Tax, Use Fuel Tax, Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax, Aircraft Jet Fuel )
Hazardous Substances Fees (Environmental Fee, Activity Fee, Generator Fee, Disposal Fee, Facility Fee)
Underground Storage Tank Maintenance Fee
Water Rights Fee

Relief of Interest and Penalties: Relief from interest and penalties may be provided for those persons who are unable to file their returns or make their tax and fee payments in a timely manner. Relief from interest and penalties are available for the tax and fee programs listed above, including Insurance Taxes.

Request for Extension or Penalty and Interest Relief for Disaster Victims: Taxpayers and fee payers requesting extensions for filing, audits, billing notices, assessments and relief from subsequent penalties must fill out forms: BOE 468, Request for Extension and/or BOE 27, Penalty and Interest Relief for Disaster Victims. Both forms are available on the BOE website at Taxpayers and fee payers must also include with their returns a statement, signed under penalty of perjury, stating the cause for the late filing. The statement should include specific information about how the earthquake impacted their ability to report their taxes timely.

Please note that the relief program for Interstate User Tax under the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) applies to California tax payments only. To waive interest and penalties for another jurisdiction, the BOE must receive written approval from the other jurisdiction. For information regarding IFTA, call the Fuel Taxes Division at 916-322-9669 or 800-400-7115 and follow the prompts to Fuel Taxes.

Copies of BOE Tax Records Available: Business owners and fee payers needing to obtain copies of BOE tax records will be able to receive replacements free of charge. To obtain copies of critically needed tax records on file with the BOE, including prior tax returns filed with the BOE, copies of audits, and permit applications, call the Taxpayer Information Call Center at 800-400-7115. Requests for copies of tax records from disaster victims will be handled on an expedited basis.

Property Tax Relief Available from County Assessor’s Office: Individuals and/or businesses with taxable property damaged or destroyed by the earthquake may be eligible for property tax relief. Any claim for property tax relief, including applications for reduced assessment, are available from, and must be filed with, the county assessor’s office. For more information on property tax relief, contact the Humboldt County Assessor’s Office at 707-445-7663 or visit

For More Information: Visit the BOE website: or call the BOE Taxpayer Information Call Center at 800-400-7115. TDD service is available at 800-735-2929 and 800-735-2922. The BOE representatives are available to assist tax and fee payers Monday through Friday (except state holidays) from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).

Chairwoman Betty T. Yee was elected to her post in November 2006. Her district includes many of California’s coastal counties, from Del Norte to Santa Barbara, and includes the entire San Francisco Bay Area.

The five-member California State Board of Equalization is a publicly elected tax board. The BOE collects more than $53 billion annually in taxes and fees supporting state and local government services. It hears business tax appeals, acts as the appellate body for franchise and personal income tax appeals, and serves a significant role in the assessment and administration of property taxes. For more information on other taxes and fees in California, visit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuclear Waste Water Fukusima From A Drone

G.W. Bush On Explosives At WTC

US Senator Joe Liberman, WTC 7 Did Not Occur