October 20 at 12:52pm ·
Measure R (the minimum wage increase measure for Eureka) is a job killer and must be defeated. Some people said "you can't just say no, what is your plan" So the following is my plan for an increase that won't cost jobs or cause a serious and sudden disruption to Eureka's economy.
1) My plan would be for the whole county and not discriminate against any one
2) There would be TWO rates. The lower one would be California's mandated
rate of $9 per hour. Our lower rate would be for the following groups:
- Workers under 21. This will help them get their first job in life.
- Tipped employees like waiters & waitresses. They make more from their
tips than they do from their hourly wages.
- People in their first six months on the job. This helps employers during
new employees training period when they're getting up to speed and are
not as productive as they will be later.
3) The higher rate would be for everyone else. To give the local economy
and employers time to adjust & minimize disruptions it would be phased
in as follows;
$ 10 per hour on January 1st, 2015
$ 11 per hour on January 1st, 2016
$ 12 per hour on January 1st, 2017
4) My plan would give employers credit for their cost of providing health
insurance and retirement plans. This will greatly encourage employers to
offer those plans and wouldn't that benefit everybody ?
But first Measure R must be defeated so this new plan can be brought forward.
So now that Measure R has been defeated, what do you need to move your plan forward Mr. Fullerton?